[Sysadmin] setting up qmail

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Sun Nov 16 08:25:22 CST 2008

Hi John,

"John Handelaar" <john at userfrenzy.com> wrote,
(re: the current qmailrocks installation):

> I put it in.  It exists outside of apt (which sucks) and the
> qmail-haters aren't wrong inasmuch as nobody actually understands
> enough about patched versions in circulation to know whether there are
> vulnerabilities, and there's no ongoing security 'coverage'.
>
> I put it in because (for the record) we got vpopmail and qmailrocks
> provided a nice bundle of spam and virus coverage, multihoming and
> web-based admin.  Plus the raw speed of qmail.

I agree that having the MTA outside of apt package management sucks.

And the qmailrocks "distribution", while popular (and thorough!) is rotting
on the vine a bit, isn't it?  The site says:

  - Current stable release: 2.2.1 - 4/19/2006
  - All packages are current as of March, 2005

and the link to the Debian instructions is labeled as "Debian 3.0" (Woody).
That's two major releases old (Sarge was 3.1 and Etch is 4.0).  Maybe
everything there still "just works" -- qmail is not exactly a moving target
:-) but from a cursory inspection of the site, it's hard to tell.

Just my 0.02 drachmas, I'm not really qualified to judge QMR, not having
ever used it myself.

-dave