[Sysadmin] Should we switch mail server software?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Nov 16 17:33:13 CST 2008

Eduardo Kienetz wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Well, I think what we should consider are the performance benefits of
> switching to another MTA. Migrating is not a huge problem as long as

It's not a matter of performance, it's more maintenance.

> we continue using Maildir format (we could just move the mail files).
> Do we use .qmail files stuff? That could be a problem if migrating...

We don't really host any mailboxes on tempest.  All evolt mail is list
based or forwarded elsewhere.

> The ideal solution if keeping qmail would be to compile and create
> .deb packages ourselves ;)

Ugly.  Whose going to maintain such packages, you?  You, Lieutenant
Weinberg?  That's far from ideal, imho.

> We also use spamassassin, don't we?
>
> So, anyway, perhaps we can keep using Qmail and analyse the need of
> migration later (as we could install some other mta and migrate more
> easily).

That doesn't make sense given we're starting from a clean slate on tron
versus a very much hacked about with install of qmail on tempest.
Better to move now than later, and better not to have to fuck about with
qmail more than we have to, i.e. not at all.

-n