[thechat] MS Word Weirdnes

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Tue Feb 27 15:43:04 CST 2001

on 2/27/01 3:21 PM, Joe Crawford at jcrawford at avencom.com wrote:

> Some thoughts on the Document issues...
> - filename

I've used that file name for a long time, and it hasn't caused a problem.

> -exotic, possibly hidden characters in the name?

Now, that could be.  Are umlauts exotic?  (ä)  There might be something in
there that is odd.

> -make sure ends with .doc

It does.

> - upload
> - make sure to upload in binary

Yup.

> - "telephone game" effect
> - perhaps it's been transferred a number of times,
> and reedited several different times, introducing
> some new problem. start fresh with new word document

Now, this, I believe, is the most likely story.  My old file was ~90k, but
the one Michele sent to me (from Office2k) was only 44k.  I wonder if it's
just cruft in there?
Maybe I have versioning turned on or somthing.

> - testing something new?
> - try making a brand spanking new document, save as word
> and send/upload to someone on windows, see if that breaks it

Yup.  That's where I'm going with this.

> - encoding/fonts

Arial and Georgia.  Nothing weird.

> - perhaps a corrupt font which got embedded?

Could be.

> - exotic encoding (unicode? something else?)

Well, I let the mail client encode it a couple different ways (AppleDouble
and MIME/64) and it bailed.  The Resource fork is unicode, and win machines
choke on it if you try to open them.

> - mime-type on server?
> - perhaps not set correctly? (though diff with emailing
> it tend to make this unlikely)

I wonder.  I'll have to ask (though it shouldn't work for me either, should
it?)

maybe I should just buy Acrobat Exchange and be done with it.

Thanks Joe.

Give me a ring in Austin - let me know if you need the number.

bob

--

bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org