Name Game (was: Re: [thechat] Driving in America

Simon Batistoni simon at newmediawhore.com
Mon Mar 5 09:56:17 CST 2001

> I thought anybody could change their name any time by giving a public
> statement to that effect and getting it sanctioned/attested or
> something like that from some govt. office.
>
> Uh! I'm outta depth here but there I'm pretty sure there IS a Law
> something on those lines *everywhere*. [shrug]

There certainly is in the UK, and it can be used to great effect.

I'm pretty sure this is a true story...

"After being charged 20 pounds for a 10 pounds overdraft, 30 year old
Michael Howard of Leeds changed his name by deed poll to "Yorkshire Bank Plc
are Fascist Bastards". The Bank has now asked him to close his account, and
Mr Bastards has asked them to repay the 69p balance by cheque, made out in
his new name."