[thechat] SW Art!

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Fri Mar 23 18:26:05 CST 2001

Hey Ron...:)

> Hi Bruce!
>

> Yeah ... I'm just a "damn yankee transplant" ...

That's ok. Glad to have you. "Yankee Go Home!" is not a phrase you will hear all
that often in these parts.

<snip>

> I got to laugh my butt off watching [but mostly listening] to the [blonde
> German lady] restaurant manager argue [in thickly German-accented Spanish]
> with the help ... it was waaaaaaay too surreal!!

That's funny! I once heard something similar also - it is very surreal.

> Cool Info on the Tejano accordians tho!

Thanks. The story of the interaction between german immigrants and native
tejanos is a good one. The german immigrants at the time were fleeing the
political and social intolerance that was sweeping Germany and as such were more
likely to be tolerant of people different than themselves. Much more so than the
anglo-americans of east and north texas. Not always, of course, but enough that
things like tejano music had a chance to happen. It's a little told piece of
texas history that I wish I knew more about myself. Perhaps I'll get a chance to
study it in depth one day :)

- Bruce