[thechat] Whitwater!

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Sat Mar 24 23:13:31 CST 2001

Luther, Ron wrote:
> Glad to hear there are more "water rats" out there!      ;-)
> I got a chance to "run the Colorado" ... uh ... a looooong time ago ....

Very cool. Some family of mine have done that. I still haven't had the
pleasure...

> Unfortunately, it was a stretch somewhere outside of Copper Mountain ... I
> say, unfortunately ... because it was the "tamest" river ride I've ever been
> on ... we musta been in the wrong place and/or the wrong time of year
> (September).  It was pretty bogus --- imagine a "whitewater trip" ... where
> you have to paddle the last two miles ... in a nice cold rain!!!   Bummer!
>
> If you get a chance over Pennsylvania-way ... try the Youghagheny
> {'Yok'-'a'-'gain'-'e'} ... excellent ride in the Spring!   [Sorry - couldn't
> find a decent link this morning!]
>
> Always wanted to ride the Cheat river in West Va. ... [where you get to ride
> a 9' waterfall!!] .... haven't had a chance yet!

I've done the Gauley and the New River in West Virginia -- the New 3 times,
the Gauley twice. Damn good time each time - and with family to boot.

Hey - Nat'l Park Service has pages...
http://www.nps.gov/gari/
http://www.nps.gov/neri/

Quite something, really - we went with Appalachian Whitewaters... this was
several years ago but their trips look to be the same...
http://www.awrafts.com/trips/index.htm

    - Joe <http://artlung.com/>