[thechat] Re: mac os-x

Dave Fitch lists at dere-street.com
Sun Mar 25 13:36:57 CST 2001

Bob Davis <bobd at members.evolt.org> said:

>I'm really looking forward to it.  I've found the public beta to be very
>useful (apache web server, php, etc. - all of the *nix tools I like) for web
>development.

Any hints/instructions on how to install unix tools on top of the
basic installation?? I've found a lot of instructions on the net, but
a lot of it is Linux etc. and a lot of it I just don't understand...
eek. But the Unix tools were the only [real] reason I went for the
upgrade.

>Anyone else going to be making the switch?

Yup, staring at it right now. It's rather different... not sure it's
what I'll boot into tomorrow morning though. There is a hell of a lot
missing [and I don't mean the DVD stuff either] and aqua is really
incomplete and unfinished. Oh yeah. There is *no* manual either.
[There is however a glossy 30 page brochure though...]

>A lot of what I've seen that is 'bad' really isn't objectively bad, it's
>just different than what we've gotten used to with Classic Mac OS.

That's very true. People shouldn't expect to use their previous
workflows: things have been moved around, and some things [too many,
if you ask me] now work backwards. And the OS assumes that you have
an always on net connection, which is a pain.
Dave