[thechat] "Democracy can be bad for you"

matthew garrett matthew.garrett at snet.net
Wed Apr 4 12:12:13 CDT 2001

one more thing about Dubya and the anti-environmental movement in general:

They say that protecting the environment is bad for business and therefore
the economy. So let's say that BigOilCompany has to tighten their emissions
by installing more scrubbers, etc. Those scrubbers cost BOC lot's of money,
but that money does not dissappear from the economy. It goes to
BigScrubberCompany and they spend it on their employees and materials and
whatever. So where is the harm to the economy? And why do the politicians
care? BSC will have lobbyists too, so they'll still get their payola...

matt