Oil changes was RE: [thechat] gas prices..

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Mon Apr 16 10:00:27 CDT 2001

On Monday, April 16, 2001, at 10:38 AM, Ron White wrote:

> Sears was the best place to take it when I was doing my own. They didn't
> charge you like some places did. Automatic Trans needs service about
> 60-70K
> depending on how hard you drive. Anything that requires me being under
> the
> car I have others do since I don't have access to the equipment I once
> did.
> I just replaced my own serpentine belt, that was fun ;-) I saved $40
> and it
> only took 10 minutes.

Yikes!

I would never go to Sears for an oil change.  Those guys wouldn't know a
torque wrench if it fell out of the sky and hit them.  I've seen some
real horrors come out of the likes of Sears and Jiffy Lube.  Air tools
on an oil drain plug - to tighten it?  Hello?

My car has an aluminum oil pan.  Over-torque it and it's toast.  22
ft-lbs.  No more, no less. Replace the crush washer every time, Mann or
Mahle oil filters (both OE) only, synthetic oil only (turbos get
*hot*).  Yeah, I do it myself.

I just bled/flushed my brakes this weekend.  Brand new ATE gold. I'm
ashamed of how much crap had accumulated in the lines.  Yucky.  I'll be
replacing my front rotors and pads soon too.  If it doesn't require
removing too many parts, and doesn't require some $800 tool made of
forged, magnafluxed and shot peened "unobtainium" I do it myself.  I
find it relaxing.  There's something about getting dirt on my hands and
turning wrenches that is really satisfying when I've been hammering on a
keyboard all week.

bob

--
bob davis