[thechat] XML as read from the horse's mouth >> OH! MY! GOD!

Elfur Logadottir elfur at members.evolt.org
Sun Apr 22 20:54:00 CDT 2001

  yes I know those are capital letter - and yes I was shouting.

I intend to know more tomorrow than I do today.

This is my motto, so I went over to this informational site of W3C, a
site I've visited many times before.

Now don't get me wrong, I've read a thing or two about the subject,
but trying to read through this

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml

page, is driving me crazy.

You want examples, I'll give you examples:

1) a definition or what ...

XML documents are made up of storage units called entities, which
contain either parsed or unparsed data. Parsed data is made up of
characters, some of which form character data, and some of which form
markup. Markup encodes a description of the document's storage layout
and logical structure. XML provides a mechanism to impose constraints
on the storage layout and logical structure.

2) well-formedness what?

Violations of well-formedness constraints are fatal errors

3) what is text?

A parsed entity contains text, a sequence of characters, which may
represent markup or character data

4) and this tops everything >> atomic unit !!

A character is an atomic unit of text as specified by ISO/IEC 10646
[ISO/IEC 10646] (see also [ISO/IEC 10646-2000]).

aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!

*the frustrated one*

http://elfur.is || http://elfur.com