[thechat] QOTD (especially for Texas residents - Hi Kyra, Sam & Dex!)

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Wed Apr 25 15:46:32 CDT 2001

Missed this thread but FWIW:

IIRC You is a left-over from the British being far too polite for their
own good.
Formerly You was the plural pronoun and Thou the singular. (compare tu
in french)
Only royalty got addressed as you.

Somewhere along the line you became more common and thou lost in the
mists of time.. except in historical drama where people walk around
addressing their royals as thou as a misunderstood mark of respect. or
something.

As for y'all. I'm really trying not to pick up an american accent (can't
lose street cred back home), but I have to say that y'all is a handy
contraction. I'd rather youse (though even that's a bit too west of the
Penines if you know what I mean), but it'd just get blank looks over
here.

Sam