[thechat] what does "inde" mean?

Tamara Abbey Abbey at abbeyink.com
Tue May 1 11:55:56 CDT 2001

At 09:26 AM 5/1/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>But I've heard people talk about "independent music."  Is that music NOT
>signed on a major label?  Or what?  I hear people talk about "inde"
>bands.  Are these bands that are making records with non-corporate labels?

That would be my understanding -- those that haven't been signed to a major
label (like Sony/MCA or whatever -- I don't keep up on all the mergers).

But an indie poet?? Hmm, that's interesting. I guess that would also be a
self-published poet.

I know at CDBaby, Derek lets artists submit their cds and then lists them
on the web site for sale and he keeps a cut of the sale. But he doesn't do
any kind of marketing or anything specifically for them and he only accepts
cds directly from the musicians.

Last night I ordered Coupdeville's La to LA and Interstate Blues' Southern
Lips after listening to some samples. The confirmation letter was kinda cute.

<t />