[thechat] Safe Rebellion. [was: ind(i)e...]

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue May 1 13:41:51 CDT 2001

Tamara Abbey wrote:
> She just sneers at me when I say the *pop*ularity of *alternative* rock
> makes it an oxymoron -- I'm just too old to get it.

<snippet
  source="David Byrne"

href="http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/29/magazine/29BYRNE.html?pagewanted=all">
"Take Eminem," he says, laughing mirthlessly for once. "I
can never lose sight of the fact that his music is
corporate rebellion marketed in a corporate way. He's said
to have this threatening quality -- but how can he be
threatening if his music is sold by one of the biggest
companies in the world? I think teenage fans realize that
it's safe, a safe kind of rebellion."
</snippet>

"Alternative" is not meaningful. For a brief moment, it meant something,
but not anymore.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>