[thechat] spin magazine: punk

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon May 14 19:17:12 CDT 2001

May 01 issue has kind of an interesting article & photos on "25 years
of Punk."  I'm only partway thru but it's kind of interesting, you
know, trying to define the genre of what is "punk" and the history
and stuff...

discussing the diff between Brit punk (which apparently was more
mainstreamed) and US punk (which was more regional and you only heard
it if you or a friend had the records or tapes or at local gigs,
etc.).

I think it's pretty interesting & especially where they apparently
have gathered current quotes from various people... Like Exene
Cervenka (X -- one of the first concerts I went to -- I was 15)  --
Exene says "... I can't think of anything really new in music.  I'd
hate to be 15 right now."

You think she's right?  Sounds like a crotchety old lady to me.

I think what used to be called punk/new wave has evolved & branched
out: techno, inde... dare I say rap?

Erika