[thechat] spin magazine: punk

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue May 15 15:59:46 CDT 2001

>Andrew Forsberg wrote:
>>  I just can't understand why anyone would do something so strange and
>>  irreversible.
>>
>>  On the subject of Murder Ballads: nobody's mentioned Nick Cave, or
>>  the Birthday Party yet. Now can he tell a story:
>>
>>  "I was cut from her belly with a stanley knive,
>>  My father did a jig with the drunk midwife."
>
>Damn! Now that is some harsh imagery.
>
>And "murder ballad" is not my own coinage at all. I don't remember where
>I had read it before, but it's something I've been aware of for awhile.
>
>	- Joe

There is a Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds album called 'Murder Ballads' --
perhaps that was it? Historically they are quite closely related to
nursery rhymes. Although only a few nursery rhymes seem to circulate
now in anything resembling their original form. Some of the Grimms'
fairy tales can be quite gruesome... 14th to 19th century children
must have been plenty scared going to sleep.
--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz/