[thechat] PC & censorship

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue May 15 18:50:32 CDT 2001

>In this vein, the PC crew now has decided that Bugs Bunny is a racist and a
>lot of his early cartoons should be destroyed...

I am against censorship, but American television companies like
Disney are pretty irresponsible in the manner in which they tend to
portray women and minorities.

As a parent of a Native American daughter, I've seen some extremely
racist and sexist stuff being shown under the pretense of being cute.
Much of it is old, but still inappropriate for small children who are
forming ideas on who they are in relationship to the world.

Have you watched Elmer Fudd lately?  And does anyone wonder why
children pick up guns and shoot each other thinking it's going to be
a game?

While watching Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd, I had to explain to my 5 year
old that when people shoot each other, they don't get little funny
holes all over their face and then go back to normal, they actually
die.

She was amazed.  Maybe at the specific information, maybe at the fact
that such stuff exists in the world.

It's hard to have to peel away your own child's innocence, even if
it's for her own protection.

There is much censorship in the US, but not from the "PC crew."  Most
of it comes from the media itself.  US major media are owned by a
handful of major corporations.  They choose what gets aired, what
dies a quiet death, and what never has a chance.

Thus we get 57 + channels and nothing on and on and on.

Erika