[thechat] kids and society's expectations (was: PC & censorship)

Cory Preus cory_preus at cnt.com
Wed May 16 09:54:21 CDT 2001

> Thus we get 57 + channels and nothing on and on and on.

I moved into an apartment about three months ago and never bothered to get
an antenna or cable. Quite frankly, I don't really miss it. Of course, it
isn't difficult to miss nothing. ;)

> It's hard to have to peel away your own child's innocence, even if
> it's for her own protection.

It is unfortunate that we have to do things like this. It is necessary to
ground children so that they are aware of how the pieces fit together, yet
in doing this, we remove the innocence which make children so delightful.
Losing innocence reduces the innate curiosity a child has. The most oft
asked question is, "Why?" The answers given ususally bind the child to
society's definition of a person.

My cousin said if pretty well: "But we have to be evaluated, examined,
categorized, organized, itemized, given a number, given a letter, given a
group, then in the end of it all, told to 'Think out side of the box.'" Not
a small feat...

Then of course, we need the definition of a person to have some semblance of
a civilized society.