[thechat] roll yr own blackout

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at mindspring.com
Sun May 20 18:33:05 CDT 2001

Not so much in protest of President Bush's policies, but the fact that we
have done very little as a nation since the 1970s to improve efficiency or
conserve, I plan to support this effort.  This crunch did not come upon us
in the last 100 days, so I don't believe this is a political issue as much
as a lifestyle one.  I have always chosen to limit my use of consumables and
invest in assets instead.  I choose smaller engines over larger ones, ones
that use regular over premium; I refuse to own an SUV, because I don't need
one.  I use storm windows, extra insulation, high efficiency HVAC, setback
thermostats,etc. I open my windows  in the summer when it's cooler outside
than in and vice versa in the winter.  This is just common sense, but few
people exercise it so it is not all that common.  I am a conservative in the
true sense of the word, respecting the past and learning from it so that
those after me will learn more.

I don't believe we can blame the current administration for this.  We can
only blame ourselves.  If we took conservation and recycling as seriously as
we have taken smoking in the last decade or so, there would be much less of
a problem.  As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Norman