[thechat] Mythology was comics

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Tue May 22 13:49:31 CDT 2001

At 01:20 PM 5/22/2001, you wrote:
><snip>
>"Christian Mythology"?  Now there's an interesting statement. Some of the
>best historical records validate the life and work of Jesus and its a myth
>like Norse, Greek and Roman gods?  You're certainly entitled to your
>thinking, but myth?  I think not.
></snip>
>Think again...
>Just because someone existed doesn't mean there hasn't been a mythology
>developed around him/her. And I don't want to presume the other person's
>entire meaning, but "Christian Mythology" isn't exclusively about Jesus of
>Nazareth, but the whole Bible. It should more correctly be called the
>"Judeo-Christian Mythology". Things like the Earth is only 6000 years old,
>the planet was completely flooded for 40 days, many of the "miracles"
>associated with Jesus, some of the people in Genesis living for two hundred

Factual correction: According to the Bible, Methuselah lived to be 969
years old.  Many others in Pre-Flood Old Testament lived to be over 900
years old, including Adam.

>years, etc. There are many more and they are Myths, as fantastical as any
>found in Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Celtic or Norse mythology. Let's not forget
>that more than 70% of the world's population does NOT believe in Jesus the
>Christ.

Maybe not the majority, but probably still #1:
http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

--Ben

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer