[thechat] Mythology was comics

Judah McAuley judah at alphashop.com
Wed May 23 11:35:03 CDT 2001

At 08:59 AM 5/23/01 -0500, Ben wrote:

>But these commandments you mention here were laid out during the Old
>Testament of the Bible.  Many of the things that were God-ordained during
>the Old Testament (including the slaughter of a lamb to cleanse sins, not
>trimming the corners of the face and binding the Word to your forehead -
>the actual Scriptures for these escape me now) were effectively negated
>(if you believe in Christianity) by Christ's death on the cross.  These
>were all signs of respect to God or as atonement for sins, which, as the
>New Testament lays out, are no longer necessary because Christ's death now
>atones these sins.

That's an interesting point. I never thought about that.  I presumed that
the death of Jesus was simply wiping the slate clean (in a sin/karma sense)
but not actually changing any obligations.  Kind of like a single get out
jail free card will help you once, but you still have to play by the same
rules in place in the game.  And now that I have thoroughly mangled several
metaphors, I will ponder this idea quietly.  Of course, since I'm not
Christian, this is a an academic excercise, but an interesting one none the
less.

Judah