[thechat] Icons was Mythology was comics

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu May 24 04:45:51 CDT 2001

>But, just as those following Moses needed a material representation
>of their faith, so do we today.

My cats have two icons / religious experiences in their lives. One is
the fountain of manna from heaven (dried food appearing in bowls).
The second is variable in its instances -- sometimes it's a metal
object which radiates intense warmth and sleepy-making joy (an oil
column heater), other times it is a towering inferno which also
radiates joyous warmth (the fireplace).

I'm not sure what, if any, instruction they receive from these
manifestations ... but they're exceedingly pleased by the whole
process.

Same sort of thing, really, isn't it?

[I'm not trying to belittle faith -- just contextualize it for those
of us who really don't care for religion. I can almost imagine it if
I think of religious faith as a sort of security blanket, like
Linus's blanket in peanuts cartoons, or my cats' thrice-daily feeding
frenzy.]
--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz/