[thechat] RE: Christian Mythology

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu May 24 07:41:38 CDT 2001

On 24 May 2001, at 8:46, Mathew Patterson posted a message which said:

> >That's not what Jesus said.

> >"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets:
> >I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." - Matthew 5:17

> - The fulfilment of the law was suggesting that the purpose of the law,
> i.e. bringing people into the right relationship with God, was fulfilled
> by Jesus.

> The law was not destroyed, but completed.

Jesus said "Be ye perfect, as I am perfect"

Perfect doesn't mean flawless.  It means completed. A perfecting
press is one that prints on both sides of the paper at once, so that
a second pass is not necessary.

And Jesus claimed to be perfect *before* he was put to death
with other dangerous criminals.

Paul is the one that claimed that following the law - circumcision,
and following religious law - was not necessary. For that, he was
called back to Jerusalem three times and beaten one stroke short
of a death sentence - the penalty for heresy.

"What Would Jesus Do"? He'd keep kosher.

deke