[thechat] RE: Christian Mythology

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu May 24 13:15:00 CDT 2001

On 24 May 2001, at 10:56, Norman Bunn posted a message which said:

> > Paul is the one that claimed that following the law - circumcision,
> > and following religious law - was not necessary. For that, he was
> > called back to Jerusalem three times and beaten one stroke short
> > of a death sentence - the penalty for heresy.

> Having just finished reading Acts last year, I don't recall any reference to
> Paul getting beaten by the Jerusalem church.  I do see where the leaders at
> the Jerusalem temple were quite upset with his teaching and wanted to kill
> him (Acts 21: 26-31) as did the Helenists (Greek-speaking Jews)  in Acts
> 9:29.  Perhaps this is what you are referring to?

No - but I *did* goof when I said three times; it was five.

"Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one."
                                                  - II Corinthians 11:24

The most severe sentence was being beaten with a whip
for 40 lashes. If you weren't dead, they would continue to
lash you; if you died first, they would give you the minimum
of forth lashes *anyway*.  You've surely heard of "to beat a
dead horse"?  They used to do it to people.

For heresy, you only got 39 lashes, and if you were strong,
you lived....

deke