[thechat] That old time religion

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu May 24 23:39:00 CDT 2001

>Many "Christians" truly believe that they possess the "one true faith" and
>feel called to make sure that the rest of the world believes as they do.  We
>are not called to judge one another and bring others into line with our
>beliefs.  We are called to love one another.  Jesus ate with sinners.  He met
>people on the road, wherever they were (or are) in their lives.  We are called
>to do the same.  Instead of yelling at people on a street corner (Repent!), I
>prefer to live my life as a witness to God.

I think that's the crux of the matter. People on both sides
occasionally (and I'm the first to admit that I have been guilty of
this a few times myself) make didactic statements about belief, when
they're simply trying to make their point of view sound authoritative
(consciously or not). Add to this the timezone lag, various states of
sobriety, and the inability to gauge a response to body language, and
things can get nasty.

That hasn't happened, but I repeat: nobody ask how many buttons a
mouse should have! :-)

--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz/