[thechat] Money Slang

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Jun 1 13:26:07 CDT 2001

On 1 Jun 2001, at 13:31, Ron White posted a message which said:

> dollars = bucks
>           smackers
>           simoleans (sp?)
>           greenbacks

"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
                            - Woody Allen

These are all the ones I can think of. Obviously, some of these
are misusages; a sou was an old french coin, and a bit was
originally 1/8 of a spanish doubloon. But a Eurodollar isn't worth
the same thing as a dollar, either, so I guess it doesn't matter.

0.01 dollars - cent, centime, copper, pfennig
0.05 - nickel, jitney
0.10 dollars - dime
0.125 dollars - bit
0.25 dollars - quarter,
1 dollar - buck, coupon, dinero, dollar, florin, foodstamp,
      greenback, guinea, shekel, simoleon, smacker, sou
2 dollars - ducat
5 dollars - fin
10 dollars - eagle, sawbuck, dixie
20 dollars - double eagle, double sawbuck
100 dollars - franklin
1000 dollars - grand, kilobuck

When you are cutting firewood, you may use a sawbuck which
looks like an X, which is why a $10 coin became a "sawbuck"
A jitney bus originally charged 5c fare; the coin was called a
jitney before the omnibus was invented. "Ducat" is pronounced
"duck it" but I know people whose family name is Ducat, and
they pronounce it "due cat"

Dixie is commonly held today to be from "south of the Mason-Dixon
line" but it actually existed before the surveyors made their trip;
the word comes from the 10-spot that was circulated in and around
the French community of New Orleans. It said "Dix" really large on
it. Because of river traffic, the economic community of New Orleans
and the south *still* extends at least as far upriver as Cincinnati,
which was *north* of the M-D line.

The difference between a garbage can and a hard drive is that there
is a plastic bag in a garbage can so you can easily discard stuff
which is of no value. The difference between a hard drive and a
brain is that you can add more hard drives that are faster, have
greater capacity, and are more reliable; your brain just keeps
adding more useless (and incorrect) information, developing read
errors along the way, until you get a head crash. The reboots
are hell....

deke