[thechat] Need a Hardware Geek

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Fri Jun 1 13:41:07 CDT 2001

Hi Ben,

First thing to check is the video card. Get some old vga card, the more
basic the better, and slap that in there. You can find these at any good
computer store that sells computer parts, not the local 'Best Buy'. You
should be able to pick one up for very little moolah. If it works, you've
found your problem and you can start shopping for a better card.

What you call the 'startup beep' is probably a signal that the system has
found the video card and that it works. The fact that there is no beep and
no display may indicate that no video card was found - or not one that works
anyway. Motherboards emit several different sounds to indicate its status.
Consult your motherboard documentation or manufacturer for a complete list
as these may vary.

Of course, all this is just speculation. The real problem may be the slot
the video card is plugged into, or a fried motherboard, or a fried or loose
processor - though I doubt it, I don't think the hdd light would come on
without a working processor and motherboard.

HTH,
Bruce