[thechat] Can you survive on Linux alone?

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Mon Jun 4 13:53:55 CDT 2001

I believe it is technically feasible, but don't chuck your windows
installation just yet. In my (admittedly limited) experience, Linux is
extremely finicky about hardware configurations and software configurations,
and will therefore take a bit of time to set up to your satifaction. It may
take you several attempts. So yes, there are enough tools available to get
the job done, and done well. But plan on a significant investment in time,
especially in deciding what software you like best.

Software you will/may want:

Apache, PHP-ColdFusion, Gimp (image editor), bluefish (html editor),
Netscape 6, Opera

Linux is not an OS for the technically apathetic. If you are getting fed up
with windows because of stability issues or buggy code, then you may find
Linux to be even more frustrating. While it may be true that Linux can offer
a more stable and secure platform, achieving that stability can be tricky.
And changing the configuration (such as adding new software) can affect
stability for many obscure reasons which can be hard to diagnose.

I strongly recommend a throw-away machine to experiment with, or at least
the dual boot option if you can't get your hands on a cheap box.

HTH,

Bruce

P.S. - If you still want to play with Linux, I say go for it. Good luck and
welcome to the club!