[thechat] Can you survive on Linux alone?

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Mon Jun 4 15:36:58 CDT 2001

Hey Chris -

First off, I'm a bit biased :) I've been using pure linux at work for
over two years now, and i can't even think of going back full time to
windows. that said, there are still occasions that i do use windows.
internet access at home from my gf's computer(now) or when i realllly
need to do something at work in CF Studio or i'm playing tribes at home.
Using studio at work is really the only time i'll even fire up windows
in VMWare(which might also be a good thing for you to check out) so that
I dont have to leave linux and what I'm currently doing in order to use
studio..

For other applications, Mozilla for mail/web, staroffice for an office
suite, bluefish for simple html stuff, gimp for graphics, gaim for
instant messaging, evolution to interact with my Palm, and even a single
piece of software that interacts with 3 different digital cameras(very
nice).

Of all of those, I'd say each one is *very* comporable with its windows
counterpart, and in certain cases i'd say a couple are better. When I
walk into a best buy these days and actually *see* people paying $300+
for a fucking piece of office software, i can't believe it..

But thats just me ;)

.djc.