[thechat] LotR

l a u r a *^* l y n c h cyberminkie at cyberwhirled.com
Mon Jun 4 17:16:20 CDT 2001

At 05:28 PM 6/4/01, you wrote:
>Can anyone suggest any current authors who are real science fiction writers
>(not fantasy)?

Give Mike Resnick a try -- I'm not a huge fan, but my BF is (I'm not *not*
a fan, just not very familiar with his work). Also Joe Haldeman, though his
books tend to be modern wars (mostly Vietnam) cloaked in interplanetary
garb. Good reads, though.

Famous sci-fi/fantasy I can't make it through:

The Lensman Chronicals
I, Robot
Anything by Burroughs (though I want to read them badly, since I'm a huge
Heinlein fan and he seems to have been a big Burroughs fan)
The fairly recent critically acclaimed /Cryptonomicon/ by Neal Stephenson,
whose other work I have enjoyed - got about halfway through this one and
decided I was disliking it enough not to bother

I did muck my way through LotR as a teenager, because I was a Fantasy genre
reader and knew that all good Fantasy genre readers loved it. Frankly, I
thought it was horribly written and a bore to read. Interesting story,
though, so I'm sure we'll see the movies (BF agrees with my assessment of
the series).

l a u r a *^* l y n c h (aka Ruby Hornblower. Please keep the snickers to a
minimum.)
design doyen @ cyberwhirled
http://www.cyberwhirled.com
ICQ: 1797450 AIM: cyberminkie