[thechat] Let's see if we can turn this into thecar...

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Tue Jun 5 07:21:31 CDT 2001

Hi Dave,

I'm not a 'car fixit' guy ... so I may be waaaaay off the mark here ... but
I'd check the spark plugs and wires.

Why? ... I had an '85 GTI ... (nice car - pretty quick).  I had it in for
MAJOR service once - [transmission exploded - but I drove it to work and
then in to the shop!] ... after that the dang thing couldn't hit 55 going
downhill!   The reason?  The shop put in the wrong brand of spark plugs.
The car checked out fine on their diagnostic computer - but it wouldn't
"go".  After a few frustrating months of going back and forth with that shop
... I took it to one of those 'hole in the wall' VW places ... one of the
ones with 20 dead beetles parked all the way around it ... those guys had
the thing diagnosed and back running at full steam in a matter of minutes.
I was amazed how 'picky' it was about plugs.

HTH,

RonL.