Melville (was RE: [thechat] LotR)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Tue Jun 5 13:02:10 CDT 2001

Hi Erika,

+1!

It's been a while since I read Moby Dick, but it *IS* a fabulous book!

Bartleby the Scrivener was a classic short story of his too... even if it
does have that silly schoolboy pun in it.

Always meant to check out Typee or Omoo as well ... but haven't gotten
around to them yet.

I may have read Billy Budd as well. I can't remember ... guess that makes it
time to read again.   :-)

http://www.melville.org/

FWIW, Joseph Conrad was pretty darn heavy on the 'descriptive prose' too ...
I still remember running for the dictionary to look up "crepuscular light"
--- from Heart of Darkness perhaps?

RonL.

(A "binge" reader.)

CR ("Currently Reading") A 1929 printing of "Odin's Children" by Colin
Padraic.  Short stories of Norse Mythology --- but it does have Willy Pogany
illustrations!!  [I'm a fan/collector of the illustrator
http://www.bpib.com/pogany.htm ]