[thechat] Car Buffs ..

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Wed Jun 6 11:56:01 CDT 2001

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:
> Depends on their reason for doing so.
>
> If they're protesting about oil companies being oil companies,
> then it's an odd (or merely postmodern) place to put the sticker.
>
> If it's about something like polluting Prince William Sound, or
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> support for murderous regimes (like Shell in Nigeria) etc, then
> it has a different point.

One of my most conservative friends, who is also an avid hiker, and
camper, etc., basically takes this tack. I remember being in the car
with him, we needed gas, and I spotted an Exxon - I went to pull in and
he looked at me aghast -- "You're gonna go to Exxon!?!?". Quite
surprised me. His whole basis was on the Alaska spill. This was maybe
6-7 years ago.

I have a feeling enmity toward Exxon stems from that spill.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>