irony (was:RE: [thechat] Car Buffs ..)

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 6 13:19:09 CDT 2001

On Wednesday, June 6, 2001, at 02:16 PM, matthew garrett wrote:

>> From: Bob Davis <bobd at members.evolt.org>
>
>> A lesson from boating - diesel weighs less than gasoline, which is one
>> of the reasons diesels are used so extensively in marine applications.
>
> Isn't one of the other reasons its (how do you say) lower volatility
> than
> gasoline when it comes to fire type activities?

Don't try this at home, Kids - I sure haven't!!!

I have been told that if you drop a lighted match into a can of diesel
fuel (or kerosene/parafin for that matter) that it will not light. They
need to be aerosolized (sp?) to ignite and prefer to ignite not by flame
but by pressure.

Diesel motors don't have spark plugs, you know...it's just incredible
pressure that ignites the reaction.

If you do this with gasoline, you'll probably spend a couple months in
the burn unit...

That being said - I've never tried it, and don't plan on it.

--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org