[thechat] kiddy domains

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Jun 14 19:46:27 CDT 2001

> http://putAlexthruCollege.com

i almost thought you were kidding when i saw that url. surprises me that
this is what parents have to do in the US to finance the future of their
children.

(not that i want to discourage you at all - i hope it works - it just amazes
me)

i've *never* seen anything like this in australia. we have the HECS (higher
education contribution scheme). anyone can go to university, and accumulate
a HECS debt.

afaik, there is no interest due on this (although i believe it's pegged to
inflation somehow), and when you start earning a specific figure (i think
it's $26k), you contribute 1% or something back to pay off your HECS debt.
you can also receive a discount for making extra payments.

it effectively enables anyone to study, regardless of financial position. no
kids end up stuck and having to get student loans, or missing out on a
chance at a better career because they're poor.

does the US government ever consider anything like this?

the only US literacy figures i can find on the CIA site are from 1979 (97%).
the figure for australia, in 1980, was 100%.