[thechat] kiddy domains

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Jun 14 21:54:08 CDT 2001

> Rest assured, no, we have college saving plans available. This is
> half joke
> and half opportunity for my husband's rather large family. The
> total net on
> this is about $0.

i understand the humour aspect, but are families still having to set aside
money for the future of their child?

i'm one of three kids. my parents set aside no money to pay for tertiary
education whatsoever. 6 years ago, i started a bachlor of engineering before
quitting after 1 year. it has cost me nothing (i amass alot of business
expenses that keep my taxable salary under the threshold, so i am yet to
make any contribution back to the debt). my sister did a year of economics
before transferring to international business at another university. she is
in her final year i think. it has cost her nothing. my brother is getting by
on his sporting ability, so we'll ignore him.

my point is that my parents could've been as poor as anything, yet we have
not been denied the opportunity of a tertiary education. we are able to take
financial responsibility for our own careers. we are not denied the
opportunity of a career in a preferred field because of a lack of finances
(unless you want flight training :p).

i believe the costs of university are low anyway. probably around
AUD$5000-6000 (that's USD$2500-3000) for a year of study in quality
educational institutions which are world-recognised. if you have the money
to pay the HECS fee upfront, i think the discount is 25%.

i imagine from your response that the US government has not considered (or
at least made public its considerations) a similar scheme?

i'm not seeking to make this a competition - i just think it's a good
concept, and i'm surprised that it hasn't been adopted by other countries.

isaac