[thechat] kiddy domains

Dave Fitch lists at dere-street.com
Mon Jun 18 13:32:17 CDT 2001

>"Michele Foster" <michele at wordpro.on.ca> said:

Hiya

>| You never will. Look at the beating Carleton took from Macleans for
>| being accessible...
>
>I don't remember this... sorry.  Recent?  or .. ?

1991, I think. One magazine article [branding Carleton one of the
worst Universities in Canada, primarily because their accessible
admission policy did not get on well with Maclean's ranking criteria,
to put it mildly...] changed the whole ethos of a University. Scary.

They went from being somewhat accessible, willing to give kids who
hadn't done spectacularly well in school a chance [and a chance was
all they got, a *lot* of them got kicked out within a year] to
designing an admission policy tailored to exclude marginal students
and show off their 'rigorous' admission policies, all to save the
University's reputation. Many people don't believe that you can have
academic standards and accessibility, facts be damned.

>Are you in TO ?  Couldn't tell from your website ..

Edinburgh.
Haven't been to TO for years, and to my great surprise people are
complaining about it... :-)
Dave