[thechat] the sound of words.

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Wed Jun 27 18:40:01 CDT 2001

Erika Meyer wrote:
> Even the more mainstream Cibo Matto, I love the sound and images in
> their lyrics... & sometimes you know they're just putting in words
> because of the way the words sound...

yep. there's a style of dada poetry with the same aesthetic. I think the
best example of that in a rock group is Cocteau Twins. Also the Talking
Heads I Zimbra - which is more nonsense and actual nonsense words.

A correlate phenomenon (hey! I sound like a Master's Thesis!) is the
misunderstanding of lyrics - where people hear something different from
what's there.

S'cuse me, while I kiss this guy.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>

p.s. : I saw Shonen Knife at Lollapalooza some years ago - fun - but a
short set. I have "let's knife" but I can't claim expertise. They're fun
though.

p.p.s.: about Cibo Matto: their cover of "The Candyman" rocks my world.

p.p.p.s. : I have a compilation of beatles covers from Japanese groups
on tape - something a buddy made for me - awesome to hear phonetic
singing.