[thechat] I got 20 job mon. Advice to myself.

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Thu Jul 5 15:00:32 CDT 2001

"Warden, Matt" wrote:
> So, where's the short list of jobs you *haven't* had, joe?

*chuckle*

It seems to me like anyone who does web has had a few different kinds of
jobs. :-)

Another note about working in a library - there were basically 4 tasks:
	-- shelving
	-- reading
	-- sorting
	-- maintaining

shelving = self-explanatory. you put the books back where they go.
reading = you go through a subsection and make sure things are in order
sorting = take the incoming books and put them in order, onto carts, so
they get put back in order
maintaining = you go through an area and make sure the books line up
with the edge of the shelves.

all in all it was a great job for me - who had always been an anal
alphabetizer of my records, a keeper of lists, and always searching for
order.

I had a lot of pride in my work - always dug being fast and good - and
probably touching thousands of books a day.

A sidenote: I was much cuter then - I look at my old nametag (I was
coincidentally doing some late spring cleaning last weekend) and I was
such a kid! It's really strange to think of my 18 year old self. I would
love to go back in time and give myself some sage advice.

Paramount would be: avoid the cute Radiology Tech.
Secondary would be: "One word kid: Unix"
Thirdly: The thinner you are, the more tail you'll get.

	- Joe

p.s.: can I x-No-Archive this note? :-P