[thechat] AOL has a "normal" amount of spam

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Wed Jul 18 14:25:40 CDT 2001

 From an article by Steve Champeon:

"To give you an idea of the scope of the problem, in 1998 AOL reported
that of the approximately 30 million email messages its servers handled
each day, between 5 and 30 percent were spam. Assuming that this rate is
true for other email providers as well, spam takes a significant economic
toll on business, not merely in terms of Internet resources, but in lost
employee productivity as well."

That's so sweet how he slides that by... "Assuming that this rate is true
for other email providers as well..."

Talk about inflating the importance of an issue (not to say that spam
isn't an important issue)! He knows very well that AOL has a uniquely-high
amount of spam due to many issues... one of which is the fact that screen
names are AOL email addresses and therefor there  are a max of 25 email
addresses available to anyone who enters a chat room (the "Who's in this
room" list).

And I was interested in this article, too, and then he has to do something
like this that smacks of "my article wasn't interesting enough... must
have... more... hype..."

Cc: therants at lists.evolt.org

--
mattwarden