[thechat] Where is it winter, please?

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 18:05:44 CDT 2001

--- Scott Dexter <sgd at ti3.com> wrote:

> > > = 55° F
> > >
> > First off, how're you guys making them degree
> symbols?
>
> (Win) Alt-0176

hmph, snot working. A friend in McKinney, TX taught
me how to do the e with an accent like in resume a
while back, but I already forgot how. Now, holding
down the alt key and typing 0176 yields this:
I spend most of my time in HPUX and Solaris so I'm
always forgetting the new windows trix I pick up.

> (check your character map application)

Huh? Wassat?

> > Secondly, at 11:30am today it was 76F in Hesperia,
> CA.
> > That's in the Mojave Desert and NO that ain't
> normal.
> > But we like it.
> >

> Nope, should be 105­­° --but with what, 3% humidity?

Yeah, that would be more like normal. Yesterday
morning I was getting gas and it was 50deg on the
sign at the In'n'Out on Main and I-15. Chilly.

> My folks live right near you: Phelan (where I went
> to high school, hell,
> I even taught skiing in thems local mountains).

Heh, my son went to Serrano High for a semester.
He just graduated from HHS.

> I  know that weather
> well. Dry, but much, much more bearable than 80%
> humidity....

I spent two weeks in New Orleans in September about
10 years ago - Navy Reserves. It was wretched. Very
hot and unbearably humid. Three showers a day without
ever touching the hot water handle. I kept wondering
"Who was it that stopped there and said, 'hey, let's
settle down right here'." Humidity bad.

Terry