[thechat] Schadenfre=?ISO-8859-1?B?/A==?=de

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Fri Jul 20 10:29:18 CDT 2001

Martin passed along...
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1447000/1447880.stm
> The streets of London were filled with people rejoicing last night...

  Can someone explain how this is meant?

##############
  Its editor Peter Hill said: "No one should have any
  sympathy for Jeffrey Archer.

  "He is a proven liar, a cheat and a chancer, a man so
  arrogant that he thought he was above the law. Now
  finally he has got what he deserved."

Particularly: "chancer" is the word I don't get.
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=chancer comes up with
nothing. As I try to read it in context I keep coming up with "person who
takes too great a chance" - then interpreting that as someone who takes on
risk. But in context it seems much nastier, and more negative.

Anyone care to elucidate to a guy on the other side of the Atlantic?

    - Joe <http://artlung.com/>