[thechat] What about the economy?

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 08:00:49 CDT 2001

> i see economic crisis all arround
>
> violence at the G-8 summit

Yeah, nasty business, same thing happened in Sweden last month. My take on
all this is that, now more than ever, money and status are deemed to be the
only measure of achievement, and that it has reached crisis point. I don't
think that it will all end in war, but I do reckon that there will be a
major shake up in the way the world works.
You say that the Internet plays a major role in this and I agree. One of the
major benefits is that you can see how much people are paying for items in
different countries. One of the popular media topics of recent years is how
much more expensive new cars are in England as opposed to mainland Europe.
It is, in fact, often cheaper to buy your car from Europe, travel over
there, have a nice holiday, drive the car back, and still save yourself
hundreds of pounds. I think this is part of a global awareness of how big
companies have managed to rip everyone off for decades, and people are
responding to this by going elsewhere and finding the best deals.
I, for one, think this is brilliant, even if the transition period may be a
bit rocky.
Just my 2 cents

Kev
kjs at ratking.co.uk