[thechat] What about the economy?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Jul 23 17:10:46 CDT 2001

Tageshau rocks.  I used to listen to it on Deutsche Welle.

I was 13 years old in 1981, and I had a short wave radio, and I
listened to the news from many different countries: mostly Voice of
America, Radio Moscow, BBC, and Deutsche Welle.

Voice of America and Radio Moscow were the strongest & most obnoxious
signals (in my little country home in far Northern California)  and
about equal in the propaganda dept.  The main difference that I
remember was that VOA was "meaner."  It was all this "we're gonna get
tough with evil empire USSR" stuff, and Radio Moscow's schtick was
"Look at the bad Americans! Why, we are all about peace!"

Deutsche Welle news was a fantastic balance between the two
superpowers.  (Nothing like being caught in the crossfire of the cold
war to sober people up...) DW provided a reality check in propaganda
land.

BBC was pretty good, too, but I listened to a lot of their fluffier
programming.  Had to plan for the Deutsche Welle (since I could only
hear it on one or two frequencies at certain times of day...)

I also liked the Coordinated Universal Time site (do they still it
call that?) with Big Ben chimes.

Those were the days.
Now I have http://www.humanclock.com/
where I can select digital, analog, or text.

It's okay, but I do miss the chimes.

>Mmh, my impression is that at least the serious German news
>programms (eg. 'Tageschau', the 20:15 news on public TV and actually
>*the* news progamm,

<snip>