[thechat] quote from Mom

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Sat Jul 28 09:55:40 CDT 2001

While I was visiting my parents on my way to my new home in Texas, I
was talking to my Mother about computers, who is using them, and what
they use them for. In particular, we were talking about older people
- my Grandfather, for instance, has had a computer for a year, and
he's 80 - and what they do with them and why they get them.

At one point, my Mom said,

	"If you don't have an internet connection, what do you do
with your computer?"

:)

I thought this was priceless. For a lot of folks, their computer is
nothing more than an internet access device that you can play
FreeCell on.
Kind of made me think about what we do, why we do it, and how it
makes us different from "users".

Mom and Dad have had a computer in the house for a few years and are
comfortable with it - but they are not power users by any stretch of
the imagination (though Dad is an excell addict).

bob
--

bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org