[thechat] Clarifications:

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Sep 11 13:14:04 CDT 2001

>1. military service does NOT presuppose a genocidal bent.

Agreed.

I just notice that those who advocate swift military action are
rarely those standing in line to sign up for the front lines.

***

What really bothers me about Ron's comment about wiping out
Palestinian vermin is how similar it sounds to US Colonel
Chivington's famous quote "nits make lice" which he used to justify
his destroying the children in the peaceful village at Sand Creek.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/program/episodes/four/whois.htm

Even though miliatry officials verbally condemn such acts, Chivington
was never punished.  About 100 years later Lieutenant William Calley
ordered a similar attack on the Vietnamese Village My Lai.  He was
court marshalled and sentenced, but served less than five months, and
now lives a "normal" life.

I'm sure both Chivington and Calley felt they had good reasons for
massacring women and children.

Neither of them ever expressed any regret, and neither was really
punished by their employers, the US military.  These things bother me.

We are all members of the human race, and all those children are our children.

I am outraged at many things.

Violence is not an appropriate response to any of them.

Erika