[thechat] Palestinians

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Sep 11 17:27:29 CDT 2001

Kev wrote:

>If you don't like the opinions of the Chat then go
>elsewhere. This is a time for being with the ones you love and thinking of
>those who have been hurt or killed, not for flinging caustic remarks.

While I agree with the second part of the statement, I wouldn't
encourage Ron to leave the chat because we are offended by his
remarks.

Ron could probably find a forum where the general sentiment runs
toward "kill them all."  Would that be a better place for him?

Ron is not alone in his feelings.  Many people have made similar
shocking statements in a variety of forums.  Shutting people up
doesn't make the feelings or opinions go away.  It simply drives them
underground where they thrive invisibly.

In my heart I don't believe anyone here really wishes for the
destruction of an entire race or nation.  I do think it is important
for us to temper gut-level passion and fury, and not to strike
blindly at the nearest target.

Ron may choose to leave this list on his own accord.  But we owe it
to ourselves to at least hear him.  Disagree with him, sure.  Point
out hasty conclusions and other logical flaws, definitely.  But hear
him.

Erika