[thechat] Palestinians

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Sep 12 13:28:42 CDT 2001

Bill wrote on 12/9/01 7:10 pm

>> However, simplistic vengence is even less effective
>> because it creates martyrs, particularly against
>> guerilla fighters
>
>It's a great thing to suggest,

No suggestion, simply how it is.

>but then what is your suggestion for an
>alternative?

Justice that is seen to be done. This is a war of public
opinion. Lose public opinion and you've already lost.

Right now, you have that public opinion. Don't screw it
up with wild vengence. Someone else said today that all
foreigners should be deported. Which just about leaves the
land to the native Americans.

Dealing effectively with terrorism is a long, slow process.
Quick fixes create more problems than solutions, as you
get into a circle of violence.

Good quote from the Untouchables:
"You pull a knife, he pulls a gun.
You put one of theirs into the hospital,
they put one of yours into the morgue"

Despite the horror of yesterday, it was not the worst that
could have happened. Part of the shock of it was that it
was assumed that nothing bad could happen to America -
that's why the security on internal flights was next to
non-existant.

Other countries which *have* lived through attacks on themselves,
in both wartime and through terrorist assault, and have had
cities remodelled by explosives. That's why I'm glad that it
looks like any action taken will be by NATO, which has a number
of states (the UK & France for two) which have that experience,
and (hopefully) have learned from it.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland