[thechat] Palestinians

Bill bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Wed Sep 12 13:32:18 CDT 2001

> I have little problem with the moral instincts of the average American
> when allowed to develop without media or political control.

I have more of a problem with the moral instincts of the average American
when allowed to develop WITH media or political control. We're not dangerous
people by nature. Without our media and politics, we're actually pretty nice
people. It's when we listen to the media and the politicians that we start
to get in trouble.

That being said, our media and politics here have been surprisingly
non-sensational since yesterday. I think there is way too much going on to
worry about making it bigger than it is. Any bigger than this and we won't
be able to cope.

However, when things start to quiet down, and people here get back to work
and stop watching TV, the media will start to drum up the drama to draw us
back in again, I'm sure. (Keep in mind that I work for an NPR-affiliated
radio station in New York State).

BH