[thechat] Palestinians

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 14:38:06 CDT 2001

> I agree that perspective is certainly necessary if we are to cope in any
> kind of rational manner. And as I pointed out in my previous message, I
have
> no desire to harm anyone who wasn't involved in committing this crime. But
> can't help but to feel that Martin (and others' - not to target Martin
> personally) are too focused on all of the terrible things America has done
> to others, and trying to make it seem like we had it coming.

I think this has been taken slightly out of context due to the high emotions
running at the moment. I was thinking today of all the wrong things England
has done in the past, especially in India and China. England (I refuse to
think of it as "my country") has as much to be ashamed of as any other
nation, but the point still stands that those who are responsible for this
tragedy should be bought to justice, as well as anyone who tries to protect
them.
What scares me the most is the opinions of some people. We had a customer at
work today who said he wanted to "kill some Arabs", just to vent some fury.
It is precisely this attitude that will prolong the heartache and suffering
bought about by yesterday's attack. The actions of the few do not
necessarily mean that they are supported by the majority. I often wonder
when watching scenes from Iraq, of the love and devotion shown by the people
to Saddam Hussein, whether it is genuine, or whether it is an act born out
of fears and reprisals. But what must stop is the lynchmob mentality that I
am seeing at the moment, if it is true that Afghans are being attacked just
because they are from Afghanistan. As much as I dislike Bush, it comes as a
great relief that he seems to be biding his time until the true culprit/s
are identified.
And may I just add, my parents know I communicate with a lot of Americans
through this List, and they wish to send their deepest sympathy to all the
American peoples, particularly those who have lost loved ones and friends.

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk