[thechat] Palestinians

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Wed Sep 12 17:49:26 CDT 2001

> Our policies didn't cause this, freaky-wierdy madmen with
> a very specific agenda and very specific interests caused this.

we (me: dual brit/usa citizen) really need to get to the bottom of this
^, before we'll see any movement on the issue. I've seen no attempt to
begin to understand the motivation behind these crimes here (here being
in the US media). I do find it disturbing that the US has essentially
already made its decision on the nature of its response (military, and
"dramatic") and is now just looking for the target. At what point are
these kind of questions going to get asked, and wouldn't the answers
have a bearing on what kind of response would be appropriate?

I've seen no analysis that goes deeper than "its because we support
Israel".
These aren't madmen. They are fervently passionate for their cause and
willing to die for it. Why? what is their cause? I realize the USA can't
be seen to back down, but there will literally be no end to this until
we can improve on descriptions like "freaky-wiedy madmen" for our
aggressors. We need to walk in their shoes (nod to Erika) and attempt to
understand their perspecitve.

And I worry it may escalate. It will be hard now to pull off another
devastating attack on this scale, but we may be seeing the beginning of
a period of unrelenting terrorist activity if no new ideas come out.
More suffering, more deaths - and we'll still not know why.

(and btw, if you can point me at this analysis I'll happily eat my words
and go read it)

Sam